Bernardo Cortés is a senior associate in our Mexico City office that focuses on all forms of dispute resolution matters, including international arbitration before the ICC, ICSID and AAA. His practice also covers issues involving energy, infrastructure, mergers and acquisitions, natural resources and tax.
- Successfully represented clients in international arbitration procedures before the ICC, the ICDR (AAA), and the ICSID, both in Mexico and internationally. His experience in institutional arbitration includes working in an arbitration centre as Secretary General.
- Currently representing two recognized international companies interested in developing infrastructure in the north border to make import and export transactions of electric power.
- Currently representing a Canadian and Mexican consortium in the negotiation and development, along with Pemex, of a cogeneration plant at the site of the Pemex Tula refinery, that will produce in excess of 650MW of power, and steam for supply to the refinery.
- Currently assisting an U.S. company on real estate matters, interested in the development of a solar project in the state of Baja California, Mexico.
- Currently representing multiple clients in the ongoing international bid processes called by the CFE to award the design, construction and operation of four combined-cycle power plants in different regions of Mexico, as well as natural gas pipelines.
- Currently representing E&P companies in the migration process of oilfield service contracts to E&P contracts, including negotiation of joint operation agreements with Pemex.
- Currently representing different companies in Mexico’s historic “Round 1” as part of the different bidding processes called by the National Hydrocarbons Commission to award onshore and offshore exploration and extraction blocks in Mexico.
- Author of multiple publications and articles on international arbitration and construction law.
- Cortés is an active speaker on international arbitration forums in Mexico and Latin America.
Activities and Affiliations
- Member of the Construction Industry Arbitration Centre. Prior to joining the Firm, he was the Secretary General for the Centre.